For those of you that actually follow this blog (thanks Mom) I will attempt to make up for my absence in the next couple of weeks.
First up is 15 THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT AUSTRALIA. Yes, I just said that I am trying to make up for not writing by giving you a list. Hey, can you blame me? This writing business is hard yakka!
Coley's "15 Things I Will Miss About Australia":
(not all-inclusive and in no particular order...except for number one)
- Tim Tams
- Ginger Beer
- Carrie Bickmore
- Rainbow Lorikeets, Cockatoos, Ibis, Parrots, Flying Foxes, actually all Australian birds (even you crazy backwards-speaking Twin Peaks birds). Except for the ones that dive bomb you if you get too close to their nest which they have so elegantly placed above the sidewalk on the way to the bus stop. Yes, I've actually been hit in the head by a bird. Twice. In the first instance an older lady at the bus stop saw it and told me I should maybe start wearing a helmet. Yes, that's how this situation should be fixed. Thank you for your input.
- Coffee. Seriously, at least in Melbourne and Sydney, you are never 1km away from a really good cuppa. I fear I have become a coffee snob. Say it ain't so. Damn you, Australia! I'd better still enjoy my 3am-after-gig coffee at Waffle House!
- Australian National Anthem. I actually love this song. They use the word "girt" and get away with it. Bloody fantastic! Advance Australia fair.
- Rocket. It's what they call Arugula. Or is it what I call Arugula? Yes.
- Beets on everything. My Grandma Flo would be so proud of how many beetroots I've eaten.
- Food in general. We eat way less processed foods and are going to try to continue it when we get back to the States.
- Everything is a question but it rarely needs to be answered. I am so meta deep right now most of you probably won't even understand my previous statement. Strewth.
- Bogans. What am I talking about? We've got good ol' rednecks!
- Weather. One of the benefits of Sydney is that we have what we like to call "Simpsons" skies. Blue skies with fluffy white clouds where when you look up you can hear the opening of the theme ♫ The Simpsons ♫ . That is if there are any clouds at all. Blue skies as far as you can see.
- Sunsets. I love a good EO sunset. That's Eastern Oregon for those of you that aren't as cool as me. But, living on the 9th floor of a west facing apartment means we get to see incredible red-tinted sunsets every night. Every single night! These are actual shots from our balcony.
- Sydney Harbour. It's a real life postcard every way you look.
- Accents and phrases. Even though my husband and I like to make fun of the words and phrases we hear on a daily basis I have a feeling this will be one thing I will truly miss. Let's give you a list within a list of some of my favorite sayings. See if you can figure out what they mean.
|I will miss you Kevin Bacon, the pig.|
|I'm gettin' a Southern Cross tattoo next, bro!|
- What's the John Dory?
- Howya travellin'?
- How's it? or How's it goin'?
- Yeah, no. (Both Sean and I use this now. It's insidious.)
- Sweet as. Easy as. Hard as. "Anything" as. (We actually use this too. It's fun. Try it!)
- Fair dinkum
- Good on ya
- Mad as a cut snake
- Busier than a blue arsed fly
- He spit the dummy
- Pissed as a fart
- Whaddaya reckon?
- You beauty!