Thursday, August 22, 2013

Who Says You Can't Go Home

Long time no write.  Lots of things have occurred since the last time I wrote one of these.  We went back to the States for the first time since being in Australia and are already back in the thick of things. Here are some highlights and lowlights of the trip and beyond:

  *Things I thought I really missed but actually my body hadn't missed it at all and let me know every time I tried to eat it.   American bacon.  Boo.

  *This whole time I've been missing a normal cup of joe from a regular place like Denny's.  In reality, Australia had actually been reformatting my brain to realize just how awful it actually is and rewarded me when I finally had a proper cuppa.  Well played, 'Stralia.  Well played.

  *Last week we ran the City2Surf 14k (14.8 by my calculations thank you very much) race here in Sydney.  It was a lot of fun running with 85,000 of our closest friends from Hyde Park to Bondi Beach. I just kept thinking of how many cities I've been to with a smaller population than the race. Basically almost everywhere.

Lots of random people were along the course with hoses spraying you down with water, handing out oranges, water, and cookies.  I didn't partake of anything as I already had my race plan down and didn't want to mess with it.  But one guy who took a cookie at the top of Heartbreak Hill proclaimed that it was the best biscuit he'd ever had.  I'm sure it didn't hurt that it was hot and we had been steadily climbing over 280 ft for about 2km by that time.  But they were cute, little girls handing them out so maybe they were the best biscuits ever.  Maybe next year I will try one.

*We went to barrack for the Swannies at the footy in the SCG on Sunday.  American translation:
We went to cheer for the Sydney Swans Australian Rules Football game at the Sydney Cricket Grounds on Sunday. It was a lot of fun and I've officially changed allegiance to the Swans.  After being here I have found that I'm not really a Collingwood fan so they can bugger off.  (See how I'm using colloquialisms now)

I found that it oddly reminded me of being at an American high school football game.  It's such a huge field of play when the action is at the other end of the field you find yourself staring at the big screen or not paying attention at all.  There are lots of people there kind of paying attention and lots of people totally engrossed in every play.  There are random kids running around with footballs throwing and kicking them as if they were "under the bleachers" back home.  Parents just let their kids take off and find other seats.  This was more amazing from the father that had what looked to be two 4 and 7 year-old boys.  He would occasionally crane his neck up and look around so he could still kinda see them and every once in a while the older boy would turn around and give a thumbs up.  I'm fairly certain that this was one of those "don't tell mom" moments but here in Australia, I'm not quite sure.

The players run out through banners made and held up by the club's supporters.  There are no player introductions other than announcing and showing pictures of the home team on the big screen.  There was no national anthem.  I was bummed about this because I've been practicing along with the events we watch on TV.  I was really excited to be able to sing it live.  Oh well.  They just ran out onto the field and started the game.

The game itself was great fun though and I think I've talked Sean into becoming members next year.  That's a fun way of saying we get season tickets.  We become "members" of the team.  Sweet!  Plus, I loved the mascot Cyggy.  It's named Cyggy because swans are birds of the family Anatidae within the genus Cygnus.  How nerdy!  I love it! And Cyggy came out to "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins and anyone who knows me knows that the song has a special place in my heart being the theme song to the greatest movie of all-time, Top Gun.  I feel the need.  The need for speed!

We got there super early because we wanted to see the early game.  Our chiropractor coaches Sydney University and they were playing the Sydney Swans Reserves.  He used to play footy for the Fremantle  Dockers in Perth, another AFL club.  Welcome to Australia!  They coach and play because they love it because most people aren't really making a lot of money.  I must say it's rather refreshing especially considering how much the country loves sport.

Now that I'm back new adventures are already in the works so make sure you keep coming back and checking for new posts!  Thanks for reading!




Me at the SCG

They are in the middle of renovating the entire side closest to the CBD

Footy players are typically good looking.  Makes it fun for the whole family :)

Cyggy!!

St. Kilda entering under their banner

These guys are seriously athletic

Kurt Tippett kicking one of his FIVE goals on the day

Final scoreboard and I actually know what all of those numbers mean.  Basically Swans win 118-59!

No comments:

Post a Comment