Friday, January 4, 2013

Keep calling back until someone knows the answer!


You may think I have been slacking on my blog postings. While this is partially true the main reason I haven’t been posting is lack of internet connection.  We moved in a couple of weeks ago now and I’ve been trying to get all of our utilities and services switched on and put in our names...I’m still waiting.  I’ve decided to write all of these offline now and post them as soon as I get up and running again.  This may be right before we leave at the rate we are going.

Apparently, there are a couple of important lessons to be learned by me in all of this frustration.  One, Australians move slower during the summer unless it has to do with sport, drinking or sport drinking.  It’s Christmas AND summer!  What did I expect?  It’s holiday time.

Two, even during normal business hours not everyone has the same expectations on what is required of you while working.  I realize that being a “goodie goodie three boots” as my friend Ruben has named me, doesn’t help.  He calls me this because it’s that much better than a “goodie two shoes”.  Yes, my mom is proud and I am continually shamed and yet continue to try to do the right thing.  Well played, mom.  Well played. 

But enough about me.  Ah, there is the heart of the lesson.  Enough about me.  Aussies don’t care who you are or what you do.  You are not defined by your work.  You do a job that allows you to pay for things and take care of those you love.  You are defined by the people who surround you.  Hooray for good life lessons and horrible customer service.  Once again I find myself wishing that more of us got to know each others cultures and took the best of each and identified the worst of each and made it into one, glorious place to live called Utopia.  You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.  But enough of me sounding like the Conservatively Liberal Democrat my father loves to deny exists and blames on my high school history teacher. 

Right now, at this moment I am frustrated.  Why am I not able to call a number and easily get my internet hooked up?  Why do you not know if I currently have gas? I am taking hot showers after all.  It’s not that Aussies are “not smart” as my mother asked, it’s partially that so many of them didn’t start as Aussies.  Every time we get something delivered or deal with any kind of service it starts with them speaking in their native language (whatever that may be),  turning to us and talking to us in a thick Aussie-accented English, then going back to speaking in their native tongue.  I never know what it’s going to be either.  This seems to create a disconnect that evolves into a perfect storm of miscommunication that inevitably ends with one or both of us nervously smiling and saying, “no worries”.  Awesome!

I partially think this is the area in which we live.  I purposely picked close to the airport but still near public transport for my husband’s commute to his office here.  Sydney is a massively sprawling city (it stretches over 60km) that is over one-third immigrant.  I’m thinking the next time they check that number it will be more like half of the population.

Makes for some hard conversations and unbelievable food options!

Random pics o' the day:
This is a travelator.  I am amused by the little things.

The prizes seem very reasonable.  I think it means everyone gets fourth?!  Sorry, next time. 
Yes, I did come all the way to Sydney to buy a picture of a Heifer. How did they know?

Although the Harbour Bridge may be more famous, this is my favorite bridge in Sydney.  The ANZAC Memorial bridge.  ANZAC = Australia New Zealand Army Corp





2 comments:

  1. Travelator looks fun! So glad you've started adding pictures. You still need to send me some of your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will when we have actual internet and our stuff comes which might be right before we leave...

    ReplyDelete